We visit many antique stores, architectural salvage shops and thrift stores searching for unique items to make into jewelry. We often find ourselves wandering down tiny winding paths in stores filled to the ceiling with treasures. Kristi has a history of tripping over things and getting her scarf stuck in running fans and I have an extremely sensitive nose so I have been known to gag dramatically now and then at the pungent smells around us. Our shopping excursions are always filled with adventure, fun and a lot of laughter. Today we are going to share the best of the best, in our humble opinion. Taking into account cleanliness, organization and unique finds the following are our top 10 favorite places to shop for vintage and antique items in the Kansas City Area:
- Jesse James Antique Mall, St. Joseph, Missouri (www.jessejamesantiquemall.com).
- The Brass Armadillo, Kansas City, Missouri (www.brassarmadillo.com/kansascity).
- Rivermarket Antique Store, Kansas City, Missouri (www.rivermarketantiquemall.com).
- Lucky Dog Vintage, West Bottoms Kansas City, Missouri(https://www.facebook.com/LuckyDogVintage/info).
- West Side Story, Kansas City, Missouri (http://www.thewestsidestorey.com/).
- Hickory Dickory, West Bottoms, Kansas City, Missouri (https://www.facebook.com/hickorydickorykc).
- Timeless Treasures, Claycomo, Missouri (433 U.S. 69 Kansas City, MO 64119).
- Nook & Cranny, West Bottoms, Kansas City, Missouri (www.facebook.com/NookandCrannyKC?ref=br_tf).
- Jeff’s Architectural Salvage, Weston, Missouri (www.jeffsarchitecturalsalvage.tinytownsusa.com).
- The Hillcrest thrift stores in Liberty and Parkville, Missouri (www.hillcresttransitionalhousing.org/thrift-shops).
The best way to find out about new merchandise, sales and events at your favorite stores is to “Like” their Facebook page. We love the daily updates and inspiration that we get from our favorite stores!
If, like us, repurposing is your passion we highly recommend that you follow the Junk Mafia Gang via their “Junk In My Trunk” radio show, Facebook or check out their website (www.junkmafia.com). In their own words Darren, Ed and their team are “reporters of JUNK, Day Trips, Road Trips, independent business owners, restaurants, truck stops, and all of the other things that make the road ways of this great country a wonderful place to live and love!!”. Hang Ups in KC is thrilled to be:
This summer I discovered the Granddaddy of all Antique Stores near Perth, Ontario, Canada. I will blog about it next week with some pictures. In the meantime we would love to hear about your favorite places to find antiques and vintage items. It doesn’t matter if you are not local. We travel frequently and are always looking for new places to check out.