Our DIY Ornament series continues with this great tutorial by our friend Holly from Haleighanna’s Hands. Enjoy!
Haleighanna’s Hands Coffee Sleeve Ornament
I drink a lot of coffee. So I get a lot of coffee sleeves. I have a tendency to hang on to them because I can’t bear to throw them away. This holiday season, I came up with a perfect way to use them: Coffee Sleeve Ornaments. These DIY ornaments are a great way to reuse them (and bust that scrap stash) and make something truly pretty. Not to mention that they are very inexpensive—which is pretty important at this time of the year. This is even something that you can do with your kids.
Here’s what you will need:
1. Trace the leaf template (two times) on the flat sides of the coffee sleeve and cut out. Trace six berries on the flat side of the sleeve scraps.
2. Glue sleeve “leaves” to paper. Let dry.
3. Paint corrugated side of leaf (if desired). Let dry.
4. Paint the berries. Let them dry and then cut them out.
5. Cut out leaves.
6. Glue the edges of the leaf and dip into glitter. Add dabs of glue to the berries and dip in glitter. Let dry. (You can use glitter glue if you prefer).
7. Using raffia or ribbon, cut a 5 inch length. Add glue to one of the tips of each leaf (corrugated side). But the ribbon in between the tips. When you are finished, you should see one corrugated side and one paper side. (You can use a clothes pin to hold it together while it dries).
8. Glue three berries on one side of the ornament. Let it dry and then repeat the process on the other side.
The nice thing about this project is that the ornament is really versatile. Instead of making individual ornaments, you can make garland or banners with them. I have also used them on packages instead of a bow. They would also make great hostess gifts for holiday parties.
Click on the picture below and hit print to get the template and instruction sheet.
© 2013 Haleighanna’s Hands
If you would like to know more about me or my work, please visit me at www.haleighannashands.com or at www.etsy.com/shop/HaleighannasHands.